Shalom Y'all

There’s a huge “One Word” movement of people who choose a single word to focus on for a new year. I’ve done that in the past, but sometimes a word chooses me before I get around to making a choice. That’s what happened in December. The word shalom began appearing everywhere. 

As I dug deeper into the meaning of the word I realized you could swim in shalom forever. Shalom is an ocean! I’m sorry I didn’t dive into shalom sooner. I must have skipped that day in Bible College because I absolutely don’t remember studying such a treasure. 


Sure, I know it means peace but the more I study shalom the more I agree with Eugene Peterson: “Shalom is one of the richest words in the Bible. You can no more define it by looking in the dictionary than you can define a person by his social security number. It gathers all aspects of wholeness that result from God’s will being completed in us.” 

According to Strong’s Concordance, shalom means completeness, wholeness, health, peace, welfare, safety, tranquility, prosperity, fullness, rest, harmony. See what I mean? It’s an ocean! 

Jim Wilder says “Shalom is everything in the right place at the right time.” 

So imagine my delight a few Saturdays ago when, after lots and lots of prayer about the possibility of moving into a place of my own, (after nearly 20 years of living life in community with a variety of dear friends), I went to look at an apartment and, don’t you know, shalom got there before I did.


This sign greeted me on the first apartment door I saw, and yes, I did take it as a sign!

Mike, the landlord, led us past the Shalom Y’all door, up the stairs, and unlocked apartment 12. It was love at first sight. I knew in my know-er that I was home. And guess what? Jesus, the Prince of Shalom, had arrived before me. He had a story ready, and it wasn’t long before it was told. 

“I’m very interested in renting this apartment.” 

“OK, I just need your email address so I can send you the application.” 

When I handed Mike my Elder Orphan Care business card, he looked at it, then looked at me and said, “I knew I recognized you! I go to Crossroads Church too. I’ve heard you speak about Romania there!”

Suddenly I was renting my new home from a brother in Christ who has turned out to be an encouraging and generous one. You would almost think “everything was coming together in the right place at the right time,” wouldn’t you? 

And so it has. I move February 1st. 

Shalom, Y'all! 


May the Lord bless and protect you; 
May the Lord’s face radiate with joy because of you; 
May He be gracious to you, show you His favor, 
and give you His shalom.

Numbers 6:24-26

3 comments:

  1. So fun to be part of your Shalom adventure, Kim. And we're looking forward to more shalom unfolding in your new place. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gail! It's wonderful to see God "write this story" and I'm so glad you and Michael and so many other dear friends are on this journey with me! GRATEFUL!

      Delete
  2. HA! I love "Shalom y'all!" And I love Eugene Peterson's definition of Shalom as well -- good stuff here, Kim. Thanks for linking up with #HearItUseIt this week!

    ReplyDelete

Each week I write a BOG (Brag On God) post. My prayer is that my words will invite you to brag on God, too. And together we'll make God smile.