The McIntyre Motel

I love staying at the “McIntyre Motel” in rural Illinois. And it’s obvious that I’m not the only one who does. When I arrived at Duke and Bev's house this month I was the 11th houseguest they had hosted in less than three months. 




“Everyone has a mission. Part of ours is to provide a room for those who need a place to stay,” Bev explains. “Duke and I believe it’s the reason we’ve been able to keep our house in spite of several farming disasters.” 

“Disasters?” 


With that inquiry, Duke opened a kitchen cabinet and brought out
a plastic bag marked “2006.” He pulled out an ear of corn. 



“Yikes! I don’t know much about farming, but I’m guessing that 2006 was not a good year.” 

Duke shook his head. “Let’s put it this way: some years we’ve had a 170 bushels per acre yield. In 2006 it was 37.” 

Bev smiled. “But with God’s help we were able to hang on.” 

Some people would have given up. Others might hang on, but that’s it. Others, like Duke and Bev, see God’s provision in the midst of adversity, and then gratefully offer what they have to others. 

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality (Romans12:12, 13).

6 comments:

  1. Wow! that corn cob is a great image. Never realized what a bad year of corn was like. So glad that Duke and Bev have God to trust instead of the weather and soil. And so glad you have Bev and Duke to partner with you. Love you, dear friend.
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the corn cob: what an image! So glad I thought to take the photo :) Duke and Bev's story is so much larger than that small snippet, but it's a good starting place. The farm has been in Bev's family since 1871, so there's lots left to write about! :) I am so blessed to have people like them, and you and Michael, and so many others to call "friend" and "partners in the Gospel." GRATEFUL! Love you, Gail!

      Delete
  2. Wow, sounds like an interesting place to stay! That's so neat that they keep that corn to remember:) Thanks for sharing...stopping by from R& R
    Dinah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and reading, Dinah! Yes, it's an interesting, comfortable, joyful place to stay. The farm has been in Bev's family since 1871! I agree--I am so glad they kept the "Corn of Remembrance" !

      Delete
  3. Kim,
    Your story reminds me of the Macedonians, whom Paul described as "giving out of their great poverty." He promised them, just like the MacIntyre's, that God would reward them in great ways. I think your friends have experienced God's Macedonian provision, yes? Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, I love that you describe the McIntyres like that! Thank you for reading and leaving such insightful comments.

    ReplyDelete

Each week I write a BOG (Brag On God) post. My prayer is that my words will invite you to brag on God, too. And together we'll make God smile.