The Blind Can See

“What are you reading?” 


Irina and the book she couldn't see to read.
Irina, sitting outside a home for the elderly in Dumbrava, Romania, responded in a language I don’t understand. As an avid reader, I was drawn to this woman with an open book on her lap. But Irina couldn’t see to read her book. She could only make out a few photographs. 

A caregiver confirmed that Irina had tried, with no success, all the reading glasses I had brought previously. We ruled out cataracts. My new friend Irina needed prescription eyeglasses. 


Easier said than done. Even if Irina had the means, there are no optometrists for miles. My heart broke. I was determined to get glasses for Irina. 


Back in America, God’s answer came in the form of an I-See Sight Enhancement Kit. We held fundraisers targeting the $950 needed to purchase the kit. Generous donors quickly gave $700. A friend was so moved after hearing Irina’s story that she gave the remaining $250. 



Four months later I returned to Dumbrava as a part of my work as an advocate/missionary with Elder Orphan Care. Irina was in bed. When she saw me, she pulled the covers back to reveal the same book I had seen in August. 

“Hold on, Irina! You'll have glasses in April! Hold on!” 


Finally the day came when our Elder Orphan Care team used the innovative I-See chart and a lens ladder to perform herexam. There were both smiles and tears as Irina’s new glasses were adjusted to her face.

And then the moment of truth: “Irina, where’s your book? Read to us!” 


I couldn’t believe my ears when her words were translated: “I gave it away.” There was no other reading material in the room. But then I remembered a book in my backpack. My friend Gail, who does mission work in neighboring Hungary, had given it to me the week before I came to Romania. 


“I don’t know if you’d have any use for this,” she said. “It’s in Hungarian. The title translates ‘You are Precious.’” 


“You never know,” I remember saying. 


I pulled the book from my bag, “It’s in Hungarian, but it’s the only book we have.” 


That’s when our Romanian translator spoke the most beautiful words ever: “Irina is Hungarian.” 



And with that, Irina took the book from me and gently touched the cover. Then she opened the book and began reading aloud about the truth that she is precious. 

So precious that God provided not only eyeglasses, but a book to read in her own language. 


“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he appointed me to tell the Good News to the poor. He has sent me to tell the captives they are free and the blind that they can see again” (Luke 4:18).


Elder Orphan Care partners with Pastor Viorel Pasca in Romania to provide shelter, food, clothing, and God's love for over 160 elderly and frail who would otherwise be homeless. EOC also seeks to identify and meet the needs of at-risk elderly living in remote villages. Kim Jackson serves as a missionary/advocate, raising funds and awareness for EOC and frequently leading teams to Romania. To learn more about how God cares for His "older children" please read "Who Take Photos of Trash?" 


15 comments:

  1. Yay God!
    I love how He pulls so many things together into a beautiful story of His love for each of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Gail! Thank you so much for being used of God in such a powerful way in this story. How great is our God!!

      Delete
  2. What an amazing God! Don't you just love when God not only answers our prayers but goes "beyond what we could ask or think?" What a precious story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our God is so amazing! Thanks for taking time to comment, Pamela. I love that we serve an Ephesians 3:20 God! I can hardly wait to see what story He writes next!

      Delete
  3. This is just beautiful. I've got tingles. Oh, bless the Lord, O my soul! Talk about working all together for good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it just makes you want to break out in major praise, doesn't it, Karen? :) I love bragging on God, and He keeps giving me many reasons to do so! Thanks for taking time to comment, Karen.

      Delete
  4. What an amazing story. Who else, but God, would have the right book in the backpack. His hand put it there. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking time to "brag on God" with me, Bettie! I agree: I just keep saying "Only God!" :) How great is our God!!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful, beautiful! What a kind, loving Father we have. This story makes my heart sing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! My heart is singing with yours! I love GOD!! And I am excited to read more and more of the stories HE is writing!

      Delete
  6. This is truly an amazingly wonderful story of a all knowing God who provides the needs of this lady. I love how Gail gave you the book not know how you might need it... from one blogger to another.

    Thanks for sharing this amazing story over at WholeHearted Home this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Touching, beautiful story! How good our God is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. :) God truly is good. Thank you for this story, it gave me chills!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praise the Lord for He is good!
    I am visiting through Titus 2sdays. I just need to share (or BOG) too. Our grandma is an amazing woman of God who is always blessed to witness God's miracles. This time it was at a conference. She met this young lady who had been born legally blind. When she asked her "has anyone ever prayed for you?", the girl replied "MANY times!" But grandma being as sweet as she is, she asked her if she could pray for her once more. The girl agreed happily. Right before praying the Lord gave word to grandma by bringing to mind the passage where it says that his disciple will pray and the blind will see (My paraphrasing), so she went ahead and prayed. She did not see the young gal for the rest of the conference weekend. (This was on Friday). Sunday night, one of the pastors called and asked if somebody had prayed for this legally blind young lady. Grandma felt like a kid caught with a cookie! To her joy, the pastor communicated that the gal grandma had prayed for was able to even read the fine print on everything! The Lord did it again! She was completely healed! And only to Him be the glory!

    ReplyDelete

Each week I write a BOG (Brag On God) post. My prayer is that my words will invite you to brag on God, too. And together we'll make God smile.