What's a 14-er?

by Gail Purath
In my home state of Colorado, there are 58 mountain peaks exceeding 14,000 feet. They are popularly called “14ers” and some people make it their goal to climb them all. 

I think of 14ers when reading Ephesians 3:14-19 where Paul prays that the Believers will have the power “to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ.” 

Imagine climbing the tallest mountain known to man. But when you reach the summit, you see an entire range of mountains, each higher than the last and more magnificent. Such is the picture Paul paints of God’s love when he says in verse 19 “may you come to know his love—although it can never be fully known.”

 Sometimes we forget that God is infinite—throughout eternity we will be learning new and wonderful things about His love, enjoying the magnificent scenery along the way! Take time today to brag on God's infinite majesty!
copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2011 


Today I'm guest posting for Kim who is ministering in Romania. Please pray for her, and if you're on Facebook, get daily updates of her work with the formerly homeless elderly HERE

This post is a sample of the short devotions I write each weekday on my site 1-Minute Bible Love Notes. Click HERE for an audio and pictorial overview of the resources available on Bible Love Notes.

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank-you for taking the time to comment, Vonda. It's an encouragement to me. Gail

      Delete
  2. What a great way to picture God's infinite love! I'm a mountain-lovin' gal, and this analogy is just perfect! Found you at Thrive @ Home today... have a blessed Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth, for the encouraging comment. Bless you, Gail

      Delete
  3. Just beautiful! I was your neighbor at Faith Filled Friday & am so glad I linked right after you :) Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice comment. I'll be visiting your post too. Bless you,
      Gail

      Delete
  4. How wonderful to be surrounded by such beauty. I've been reading about cancer survivors who have taken on the personal goal of mountain-climbing to rebuild their lives. http://newgrandmas.com/18953/books-games/cancersurvivors/crossing-divides-book-thursday/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something very special about mountains, but since I was born in Colorado, I am partial to them. I've never heard of mountain-climbing as part of cancer recovery, but it sound like a great idea.
      Bless you,
      Gail

      Delete
  5. I do know what 14ers are and have climbed (more like hiking, not belaying!)many! Several years ago we spent a two-week road trip doing and seeing all CO has to offer! We have some great pics and stories to tell! I just love the Biblical reference above....it does indeed offer a great memory of our time in the mountains and how close we felt to God and nature at those moments!
    Love finding your site!
    Joan at www.gramcrackercrumbs.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Joan, I also think the mountains give us an idea of God's grandeur and majesty. How fun that you have climbed some 14ers.
      Bless you,
      Gail

      Delete
  6. Just stopping by from the Say it Saturday Linky Party. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good word picture! 58 14-ers in Colorado! I had no idea there were that many. I am from California and was allowed an adventure of climbing Mt. Whitney, the 14,494' highest 14-er in the continental USA. But I found out that I cannot even begin to fathom the height, depth, width, length of the love of Christ especially after that experience (which was many years ago!!). I was as an ant compared to such a mountain and my God created it all. Imagine! Caring through Christ, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Linda, What a great experience to have climbed Mt. Whitney. You have "lived" this analogy! Bless you

      Delete
  8. Soaking up the truth and trying to wrap my mind around the reality of a love that. A love like an unreached mountain peak, having absolutely, no limits! ~ Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a wonderful thing to know we can't fully grasp it?
      : )

      Delete

Each week I write a BOG (Brag On God) post. My prayer is that my words will invite you to brag on God, too. And together we'll make God smile.