Journal Journey

It was Sunday, February 27, 2011. After months of tearful conversations with loved ones, praying long into the night, and more whining than I care to admit, I took my journal to a park and began writing out my heart. 




I worshiped God in song and tears. I wrote His Word and the words of His followers that inspire and challenge me. 




I had been seeking God’s next adventure for well over a year. I knew if my Mom were a phone call away, and not seated in my Heavenly Cheering Section, she would be encouraging me to go after the “Wow Dee Wow!” (her signature phrase). So it makes sense that I would write the next entry, but it still surprises me that I asked God for a deadline!



When I left the park I didn’t have a definite answer as to my future, but I did have a renewed sense of peace and joy and at least one Spirit-inspired action step: I made a significant phone call Monday evening. Then I grabbed my journal and wrote:



Tuesday morning I went to work as usual at a local assisted living. It seemed like a strange “fit” since both my education and experience centered on youth. But for nearly three years God had been teaching me about loving the elderly and frail. He had made my heart tender and turned it towards them. 

At 12:50 p.m. the Executive Director called me into her office. “Kim, the staff and the residents love you. But due to budget cuts, your position is being eliminated.”  

I’m sure she expected me to be upset at the very least or totally fall apart at the most. She had no idea God had just answered my prayers….and on Mom’s birthday! The rest of the day was so full that I didn’t pick up my journal till the next morning. 



When that door slammed shut, I was quickly ushered through a door which led me to begin serving at-risk elderly in Romania through Elder Orphan Care.  On March 1, 2017, I begin my 7th year of this amazing, God-birthed adventure! 

"Wow Dee Wow" indeed!

I pray that this testimony is used by God in your life, or in the life of someone you know. May God receive all the glory!

Psalm 77:11, 12: I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago. I will consider all your works and meditate on all your mighty deeds. 

Ephesians 2:10: For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. 

Romans 8:28: And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.



11 comments:

  1. Kim, WOW DE WOW is right! You must link this up on Friday for our Random Journal Day? Please. What a blessing, I would love for you to come share your beautiful WOW Dee Wow journal pages with us and our little journal writing community! Link goes live 12 AM Friday so please join us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, Kim, a moving, powerful brag on God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! God is SO good and living in and with Him, fully surrendered to Him, is truly the greatest adventure of all! Thank you for the sweet reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing testimony! God is so amazing and awesome and His timing is always perfect. Thank you for this beautiful reminder!
    God bless you - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lost my full-time job in 2011 and in the first few months God spoke amazing things to me through His Word. I literally rejoiced when I was laid off because I was ready to leave my job of almost 8 years. Since that time God has provided for all our needs and we even paid off my car. God has sustained us. I am working part-time, but really want to be home and I am counting on God to make a way! Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This really spoke to me. I have been praying and fasting about something specific & it seems your words stretched me to consider asking God for a timeline for His answer, sincere and humbly. So wonderful how He hears us! Your words are such faith builders! UNITED in Him, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Kim
    Yes, He answers our prayers in unexpected ways, doesn't He!
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow-Dee-Wow did I ever love this jubilant post. I'm smiling over God's answer and your praise.

    Joyfully,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have blessed my socks completely off!!!! I love your mom's phrase, I love your prayer time, I love the loss of your job on your mom's day, I love that you call our Lord "True Lord Jesus", ...

    but most of all I {{{LOVE}}} that you now go to Romania to love the elderly frail precious people there.

    My children are from Romania (adopted 1997 and 2000) and our hearts are there with the people. Thank YOU for going! And thank our True Lord Jesus for sending you.

    Hugs ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I loved this post! I loved how you shared your journal entries - powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved to read this! God does speak to us....it's just that most of us don't know how to listen! Thanks for linking up with me :)

    ReplyDelete

Each week I write a BOG (Brag On God) post. My prayer is that my words will invite you to brag on God, too. And together we'll make God smile.